Friday 24 May 2013

A Passion for Postcards

I love a bit of snail mail. Whenever I go on holiday, even if it's just for a long weekend, I like to send postcards. It doesn't bother me that the cards take longer to arrive than the holidaymaker, I just love those cheery little rectangles!
Unfortunately not many of my friends and family are as big on sending them as I am, and so it is a rare day that sees anything other than bills and junk mail falling on my doormat.
 

 


Then a couple of months ago I discovered Postcrossing, an amazing website which allows people to send and receive postcards from random strangers around the world. It's completely free (well, apart from the cost of sending your cards that is!) and such fun. All you do is sign up and request an address, then send your card. You can send a maximum of 5 cards at a time. When your card is delivered, the recipient registers it online and then your address is assigned to be sent a card. And one day you get in from work to discover a bright little surprise nestled in amongst the junk and bills.



I've received cards from all across the world ~ including Lithuania, New York, Finland, and the Ukraine. The site is completely child-friendly, in fact I have received a couple of cards from children and students, and you are advised to choose your cards and the words you write in them accordingly (in other words, don't be saucy!) But you see a brief profile of the person you are sending your card to so you can get an idea of what to say or what kind of card to post.

I hope you all like this idea as much as I do and who knows, maybe we will end up postcrossing to each other some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment