Tuesday 12 February 2013

Pancake Day

Today is Pancake Day!

One of the traditions that normally go with Pancake Day is the pancake race, where people race whilst tossing their pancakes. In our house we have a race, but it's a different kind of race ~ to see if I can cook them faster than my son can eat them, so I actually get to eat a couple myself! This year I got 3, plus this little oddity:


Pancakes are easy peasy lemon squeezy to make, you really don't need to buy a batter mix! Here is my recipe:

1 egg
4oz plain flour
semi-skimmed milk
pinch salt
water
oil for frying

Crack your egg into a jug and make up to 1/4 pint with cold water, then up to 1/2 pint with milk. Add the flour (you don't even need to sift it!) and salt then beat well. I usually allow my batter to stand for a while, but there's some debate whether you actually need to bother so if you are to eager to get flipping, go for it!
Heat a tiny bit of oil in a small pan, you just need enough to stop the pancake from sticking, a few drops should do it. You want the pan to be pretty hot but not crazy hot. Pour a little batter into the pan and swirl it around to coat the base. Leave it to cook for a minute or two then flip and cook the other side.

Hey Presto ~ a pancake! This recipe made about 9 six inch pancakes, and they're only about 55 calories each before you add toppings. (search for Cheery Chicken Pancakes on my fitness pal)

Top it with whatever you like, I prefer the traditional sugar and lemon, my son likes nutella and banana. What are your favourite toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment