Thursday 14 February 2013

Souper Douper!

I don't use my slow cooker often enough. As a working single Mum, I really need to take advantage of this fabulous piece of kit. There is nothing cosier than coming in from work on a chilly day to the satisfying fragrance of a ready-cooked meal waiting for you.

Today's treat was Parsnip and Apple soup.



Ingredients

10oz Parsnips (3 med)
4oz Apples (1 eating apple)
6oz Onions (3 small)
1 litre chicken or veg stock (I used 3 stock cubes)

Peel and dice the onion. Peel and chop the parsnips into roughly 1cm chunks. Peel, core and chop the apple into roughly 1cm chunks.
Chuck the whole lot in your slow cooker, top with about 1 litre of stock, and cook on low for however long you're at work. Mine was on for 8 hours, but 5 or 6 would probably be enough.
Blend. Serve with a fresh grinding of pepper.

This is a delicious and light soup (80 calories per serving!!!) and because you're not sweating the onions in butter or oil it's almost fat-free! You can find it on my fitness pal if you're interested. Although I am trying to diet, I teamed ours up with a toasted cheese sandwich, cut into hearts in honour of St Valentine :)

This is the first time I tried soup in my slow cooker. I was a bit worried it might be too runny as you get very little evaporation, but it turned out fine. It took about 10 minutes to prepare which is perfect when you're busy. I got 4 portions from this batch too, so 2 go in the freezer for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment