Sunday 20 May 2012

Chic on a Shoestring

Yesterday I treated myself to a new crafty book called Chic on a Shoestring by Mary Jane Baxter. I try not to buy too many craft books as a lot of the time you can find tutorials online for free, and I have several bookcases which are already overflowing, but I started leafing through this in the bookshop and realised that I wasn't just browsing, I was reading it!




There are lots of step-by-step tutorials on customising and accessorising using recycled materials, with lovely photos and illustrations. The crafts are simple yet stunning, many don't even require a sewing machine, and there are even instructions on how to make your own hat!


This tutorial is for a silk-scarf top, and while there is no way I could ever get away with a backless top myself, check out this beautiful hair-do!



So last night I sat and watched The Voice (Will I Am = sigh!) and rustled up my very own Floribunda. I used some silk scraps which frankly weren't the easiest fabric to work with as they do so love to fray, but the peacock colours are so vibrant (yes, I know, bad photography doesn't do them justice)


What do you think? I can't decide right now if I want this to be a brooch or a hairclip, so I think I'm going to sew a couple of small loops on the back so that I can slip a hairgrip or safety pin through, depending on my mood / outfit.



You can buy the book in all good bookshops or here, and Mary Jane's blog is here.

P.S. Here I am wearing my lovely new . . . . .


. . . . . brooch!

One last P.S. (promise!) Here's a shot of me wearing my lovely new . . . . .


. . . . . hair clip!

I even tried my own version of the stylish hair-do from the silk-scarf tutorial, except I couldn't face fiddling about with a fishtail braid. Maybe next time . . .


(ok, that's it for now Folks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment